On August 6-10, 2018, I had the wonderful privilege of presenting at a seminar for young priests. If you’ve arrived here and aren’t one of them, please say a prayer for them and their ministry across western Canada. If you are one of them, read on for links and downloads relating to the presentations from this week:
Conference 1: Youth Culture Today
–The Center for Parent & Youth Understanding (CPYU.org) – great resource site to understand current youth trends.
-National Survey on Youth & Religion:
- Mike’s Summary Handout: Statistics about Catholic Youth from Soul Searching
- Print resources – Soul Searching, Almost Christian, Young Catholic America
- Online resources: Understanding Former Young Catholics, What is Moralistic Therapeutic Deism?
Conference 2: 9 Innings of Spiritual Development
James Fowler books:
Conferences 3 & 4: You Give Them Something to Eat
- Download You Give them Something to Eat
- Mike’s 2016 written summary of “You Give them Something to Eat”: Part 1 and Part 2
- Read the 1997 USCCB Document, Renewing the Vision
Conference 5: And the Word Was Made Flesh
- Link to document from Pre-Synodal Meeting (Palm Sunday 2018)
- Link to Instrumentem Laboris (working document for Synod)
Conference 6: Exalt
Conference 7: Challenging Young People to Make a God Choice
3 Messages every young person needs to hear:
“Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary.” (Pope Benedict XVI) – a reminder that they are here on purpose and not by accident, that God always loves them, and that they have a particular calling from God.
“all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” (Romans 3:23) – a reminder that everyone has a story, that the road to sanctity is not a straight path.
“Be not afraid! Open wide the doors to Jesus Christ!” (St. John Paul II) – a reminder that perfect love casts out all fear, and that their common fears (loneliness, failure, death) can be conquered by the hope that Jesus brings into our lives.